When it comes to the Internet, intellectual property theft is a common occurrence. Some people do it maliciously, some people do it not realizing it’s theft. Unfortunately, it is impossible to completely protect your images from being taken, but it is possible to make it more difficult with simple content protection.
Most people, when they want to save an image, do so by right-clicking on said image and selecting ‘Save Image.’ Have you ever noticed though that you can’t right-click on some images? That is because the owner of the site has deliberately disabled the option to right-click the image. When you encounter such an image it should be perfectly clear that the owner does not want to openly distribute their property.Today, I’m going to walk you through disabling right-click for the images on your WordPress site. The process is extremely easy. There are, of course, still other means for people to take the image, but this step makes it known that you are not intending to freely give your property.
Note: This only works for users viewing the site on a computer. It does not work on the mobile version of your website.
Install WP Content Copy Protection Plugin
- When you’re logged in to your WordPress dashboard, hover over the “Plugins” menu then click on “Add New” in the sub-menu that pops up.
- On the “Add Plugins” page, type “content copy protection” in the search bar.
- Click “Install Now” on the option “WP Content Copy Protection & No Right Click”.
- Once installed, click on “Activate”. After activating, the page will redirect to the main “Plugins” page.
Configure the New Plugin
Now that the plugin has been installed and activated, you’ll see a new “WP Content Copy Protection” option under the “Settings” menu in the WordPress admin menu.
- Hover over the “Settings” menu then click on “WP Content Copy Protection” in the sub-menu that pops up.
- The “Main Settings” tab is the only place you’ll be able to enable/disable options for free. All the other options are available if you pay for the premium version of WP Content Copy Protection & No Right Click.
- Static page’s protection: You can enable the protection here but to customize the options you’ll need the premium version.
- Exclude Admin from protection: This is a premium option. This could be useful for the administrator to make changes and copy posts easily without the copy protection in the way.
- Selection disabled message: Here you can type any message you want to display to your viewers when they try to copy your content. (For example, I wrote “Content is protected!!”)
- Click on the “Save Settings” button to save your changes.
The rest of the options are for premium subscribers so I will not be discussing them in this tutorial.
Now, whenever someone tries to copy your content this message will appear.
That’s it! You’re done! You have now protected your content from being copied or saved!
Now that you’ve taken the first step in protecting your content from plagiarism, it’s time to secure your website from attackers and spammers! Read my post, How to Secure Your Website Using WPBruiser, to learn more!
Do you have any questions or comments? Let me know, I’d be happy to help!